HOA’s, or Home Owners Associations, have been paying for old, outdated, inefficient lights from their local utility for decades. The utilities do not provide homeowners associations with a good long-term value for the money they are charging. Most neighborhoods have the same lights they had 30+ years ago, only they are paying more now than ever for the same old, outdated lighting. The utility rarely provides upgrades to lights without a new, more expensive 5 or 10-year contract. The utility takes their time when lights require maintenance or bulbs need to be changed, and the old lights provide poor quality lighting to a neighborhood in the 21st century.
Homeowner Associations should consider upgrading to solar lighting by replacing their old, ugly lights with new, modern, and green technology. Replacing your existing lights with solar LED lighting by Solar Lighting International can provide your HOA with a long-term fixed cost for lighting, eliminate any new long-term utility contracts, and could lower your annual HOA dues. Solar Lighting International designs solar lighting systems with 20 or more years in mind before the need for replacement. Connect with us using this link to ask us for more information on how to move to solar lighting.
When investigating the solar option take into
consideration a few things:
- Solar is an investment. Your utility makes it easy to spread the payments out over a 5-year contract, but your cost will be about the same at the end of 5 years. However, with solar, you will not be required to sign a new contract, with a higher rate in 5 years.
- Plan a budget. Expect to budget from $665 to $1,400 per upgraded light pole. We will discuss these costs in more detail below.
- It is likely you will need a contractor or a very skilled landscaping crew. You will not need an electrical contractor as our most common system require no wiring. The installer will likely require a 10-14-inch auger and be able to dig up to 5 feet deep, depending on your pole selection and wind zone requirement. They may also need to remove the dirt.
- Does the HOA or the utility own the poles and lights? If you are under a contract, most likely the utility owns the poles and lights. When you cancel your contract the utility will remove the poles. This will require new poles. Depending on your budget expect poles to cost between $700 – $1,300 depending on your local wind zone and city requirements.
- Are you in a hurricane zone? You will require new poles.
- If you own the poles, are your existing poles designed to take the additional weight and size of a solar lighting upgrade? Unless you have wood poles the answer is: most likely not. You likely will require new poles. We do have one option, the Stealth 40, that can work with the existing top of pole-mounted fixtures.
- You have a few pole options but the most cost-effective option is direct burial. Direct burial poles do not require concrete or foundation. Composite fiberglass and Aluminum direct burial poles are the best-looking non-maintenance options we supply.
- What fixture look do you want? If you are seeking to go with the existing ornamental look and feel, we recommend staying with your utility. The upfront cost for ornamental fixtures is prohibitive for HOA’s. If you are open to a more progressive look this is where you can save a lot of money and even upgrade to a brighter option.
- How are you going to manage the unloading of light poles?
Going solar in an HOA is a construction project. Planning a budget and having your pole installation costs are two key parts of preparing to go solar. It is key to have a firm understanding of these costs before researching your solar options.
Solar Lighting for HOAs
Solar lighting presents an attractive option for Homeowner’s Associations looking to provide quality area lighting to their neighborhoods. From new construction to established neighborhoods, solar street and area lighting can offer not only peace of mind but a renewable energy source to offset grid power usage.
Installing Solar Lighting in Existing Neighborhoods
The single most often question we get asked is can our solar light be retrofitted to the existing poles? Our lighting system is not only easily retrofitted to common pole mount fixtures, but the ease of installation is what gets our customers the most excited.
Our Stealth All-In-One Solar Lighting System quickly mounts to most existing poles, unlike competitors’ solar light systems which typically require an electrician to install due to additional wiring. The Stealth systems come out of the box ready to mount to a 2″ schedule 40 pole top/tenon but additional mounting setups can be discussed with our super friendly engineering department.
Solar Lighting International, Inc. can also provide your community with pathway lighting for nature trails, and lighting for additional community amenities such as dog parks, playgrounds, gazebos, swimming pools, and clubhouse parking areas.
The biggest hurdle to upgrading to solar lighting is getting everyone on board.
Finding an installer for solar lighting can be a challenge. Many solar lighting companies are resellers or distributors who sell only products and cannot provide you with a turnkey solution. Many installing contractors prefer to sell and install the product, which can lead to a markup of up to 20% more for equipment cost.
Solar Lighting International not only manufactures its product line, but we also have cultivated working relationships with excellent installing contractors in many parts of the world. When you work with Solar Lighting International, you work with an experienced manufacturer with a proven track record for excellence. When selecting where you plan to purchase your solar lighting systems, make sure you are dealing with someone who can help you through the entire process.
Enclave at Providence – Charlotte, NC
Camellia Acres Gardens – Mariana, FL
N3 Luxury Living – Rowlett, TX
N3 Luxury Living – McKinney, Texas
Wildwood HOA – Wildwood, FL
The Meadows HOA – Ellensburg, WA
Bimini Bay HOA – North Bimini, Bahamas
Chocolate Drop HOA – Saluda, NC
Click on the image below to download the corresponding PDF…
The HOA Approach
Square Straight Aluminum Light Poles | Anchor Base
Anchor Base Fiber Composite Pole
Direct Burial Fiber Composite Pole
X-LED Series Product Warranty
Recently Installed Customers:
Each Installation photo can be clicked to open in a lightbox.